Via Panis – Itinerary

The sacred hosts are now kept in the Piccolomini chapel in the summer months and in the Martinozzi chapel in the winter months. In almost three hundred years of history they have been the object of thefts, of abandonment in a wooden box for almost fifty years, of decanting into different containers, all complicated by two interminable works of rearrangement of the sacred building and by political and war events such as the Napoleonic invasion and the unification of Italy, which saw the transformation of the convent and basilica of San Francesco, passed by the Franciscans in different hands, becoming the seat of the Seminary of Siena. It is truly an extraordinary prodigy that was actually communicated to the world only in 1914, with the first scientific analysis of particles. Since then they have been at the center of a devotion that continues today to be nourished by many initiatives: the homage of the Contrade; the homage of the children of the First Communion; the solemn procession of the feast of Corpus Domini; the Eucharistic septenary at the end of September; the Eucharistic day on the 17th of each month in memory of the discovery of August 17th 1730.
Monstrance: sacred furnishings that have the function of exposing the consecrated host, the Body of Christ, to the adoration of the faithful.